I
confess I was one of those unhealthy eaters you hear about. I had TV dinners
for a lot of meals, including breakfast. I did drink lots of water and fruit
juice, but ate no fruit on a daily basis. Fish I’d try to eat once a week. And
I loved potato chips and related snacks .
Things
have now changed. While I am still not eating fresh, frozen or canned
vegetables on regular basis (These changes are coming.), I am now having fresh
or canned fruit once or twice a day. I’m eating fish, primarily salmon, once a
day and raisins daily. I’ve gone back to having cold oatmeal for breakfast and
have cut back on my sugar. Salt, due to my blood pressure being on the low side
(It always has been that way.), I don’t have to be as concerned about.
Exercise
is something that I’ve always enjoyed, but I am now making sure I do it daily,
and I am trying to get my weight down. So far so good in that my weight is
starting to slowly come down.
However
there have been a couple of things that have shocked me in my experience. The
first is the health care system’s almost entire focus on drugs to cure heart disease.
It really hit home when I suggested to my cardiologist that instead of taking
the anti-cholesterol drug I first try to get my cholesterol levels down to
where they need to be by diet. I was immediately told that I’m not trying to
prevent heart disease I have it. It seems to me all the more reason that diet
should at least be considered as part of treating heart disease.
Diet,
exercise, weight loss and sleep habits all seem to be dirty words for our
health care system. Heck even the Heart & Stroke Foundation
recognizes the importance of these things to preventing and treating heart
disease.
The
second thing that shocked me is how very wasteful healthcare is, at least in
Ontario where I live, in terms of resources and thus of money. For example to
stop the bleeding in my wrist after the angiogram and stent a large plastic
block was used. When the bleeding had stopped, much to my amazement, the block
was just thrown out. I appreciate needles and bandages being one use, however,
there has to be another way to prevent the spread of disease other than a one
use item.Here’s another example of waste. I live in the Niagara Peninsula. We have a new hospital, which is energy efficient. Unfortunately no one apparently thought to make it water efficient as well as they use antiquated toilets. These toilets have enough water in them that you could literally wash yourself in them. There is absolutely no need for this waste. I replaced my antiquated toilets with dual low flush toilets 8 years ago and they have since paid for themselves.
Finally here
is some heart food for thought. Eat a heart healthy diet. Here’s a list of the 25 Top
Heart Healthy Foods from WebMD: http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/25-top-heart-healthy-foods
If, like me you’re on a blood thinner, and that includes aspirin, avoid foods
rich in vitamin K, as they thicken the blood.
Do
heart healthy exercises. Here is a good article on this from WebMD: http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/guide/exercise-healthy-heart
You might wish to consult your doctor first or some other health professional
before going ahead.
Finally
think for yourself. Read as much as you can about heart disease the medications
you’re on and don’t be afraid to ask questions. Remember, while your
cardiologist may be the expert on heart and stroke issues you are the expert
on you.
No comments:
Post a Comment