I realize ads are important. They
help pay bills and can convey useful information on such things as health and
environmental issues to safety to new programs offered by schools and the
government. They can also be useful to letting me know about sales at the
grocery store, hardware store or book store. However, there can be too much of
a good thing and not all ads are good. Some seek to steal our money and our
identity, to have us believe lies and sell things that are damaging to our
health and the environment.
Whenever I log into my Yahoo Mail
and they’re trying to sell me something. Lately ads for matchmaking services
are being fostered onto me with photos of supposedly sexy looking women. Well
besides not find the women the least bit sexy, I’m a happily married man with
not the flightiest interest in either finding a new woman or having something
on the side.
I go on YouTube and I’m forced to
watch at least 5 seconds or more of some commercial. I avoid this by turning
down the sound and doing something else while waiting for it to end. The latest
is on the Sun Media newspaper sites where, in exchange for watching some
commercial I can get full access to a particular article. With this I don’t
even have to keep the window open I just go to another window and do something
else until the commercial finishes. With TV ads I turn down the sound and read,
unless I need to leave the room in which I leave the sound up so that I know
when the commercials were over.
CTV Toronto News At 6 have
commercials and then for sports and weather bring you yet another short
commercial. I’m waiting for the time commercials will be interrupted by
commercials or better still when a commercial will be interrupted by a five
minute show. It would sure save on programming costs.
And it’s not just amount of ads,
but what they’re selling. As I mentioned earlier I’m not the least bit
interested in a matchmaking site. I’m also not the least bit interested in cars
– I don’t have my license and have no desire to get one. Likewise with booze as
I don’t drink. I’ve had newspaper sites with annoying popup ads for bridal
wear. I’m not an engaged woman and have no children and so this has zero
interest for me. The crazy thing is despite all of us needing to eat I’ve yet
to come across a single grocery store ad. I can still remember the old Dominion
Store jingles from when I was a child. “Why do more Canadians shop at Dominion?
It’s mainly because of the meat. And it’s mainly because of the meat.”
What I’d like to see is fewer, more
creative ads and ads that are focussed on everyday needs like food, hardware
and clothing. Not the crap that generally passes for advertising now.
No comments:
Post a Comment