After calling the paramedics last week for safety sack as my pulse went from 40 beats a minute to 93 beats a minute (I checked out okay.), I decided to see my doctor.
He says my heart can’t make up its mind what it wants to do: it beats normally, it pauses, it has a premature beat and it has an irregular beat. I have both atrial fibrillation and other arrhythmia problems. Oh joy! My doctor did again assure me that I do not have heart disease, a heart condition or any problems with my arteries, which is good news.
My heart reminds me of a line from Stephen Leacock’s Gertrude The Governess, “He flung himself from the room, flung himself upon his horse and rode madly off in all directions.”
I asked about cardioversion using a defibrillator to stop the heart and then restart it, which resets the heart beat. My doctor said that is used in patients who have constant atrial fibrillation, which I don’t.
I’m going to be sent to a specialist in Hamilton, who will map my heart’s electrical problems. I believe he also can correct them by destroying (burning) very small pieces of the heart to make a clear circuit for the beat signal. It will take a while before I see the specialist.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment